Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Donating to a great cause.

A little girl is tossing in her bed, she's in a deep sleep dreaming about the monster hurting mummy again. He's very loud and it causes her to wake up and sit up in her bed. The dream turns to a nightmare when she realises that the monster is next to her sister's bed hurting her mummy while her sister is in the bed too! The monster's name is Daddy. He bashed her mum until her eyes ballooned up and closed and her nose was broken and bleeding. Her mum thought that if she got into bed with her daughter he would stop hitting her. She was wrong. That was the last time my father hit my mother, she finally walked out with us that night after 20 years of abuse from his fists and mouth. I'm so proud of my mum for taking that step, it was a major struggle to be a single parent with four kids and no money but she did it and did an amazing job of raising my sisters, my brother and I. I think I was about 6 years old then.

I would love to take this opportunity to donate $2.50 from every order I receive in April to the White Ribbon Foundation (Violence against women). You can check out their website at http://www.whiteribbonday.org.au/ or become a fan on facebook White Ribbon and support this great cause.  They also have a campaign asking all men to swear never to commit, excuse, or stay silent about violence against women. They can swear here http://www.myoath.com.au/ and "All aussie men should swear"!

Thank you for reading this and I hope we can put a stop to violence, not only against women but violence in general!

1 comment:

  1. Hi. I found you through The Contemporary Handmade Alliance.
    I am now off to become a fan of "White Ribbon" and do some more reading on the websites you suggested.
    A very sad post but something that needs to be put out there, thankyou. xx

    ReplyDelete